REDRESS x Zara
We’ve always been passionate about reducing clothing waste to protect our environment and help our community, and are pleased to expand our used clothing collection programme to collect more through a new partnership with Zara’s clothes collecting programme.
You can now donate your unwanted clothes, shoes and accessories to our charity, Redress, via collection containers located in Zara’s Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR stores (see list of stores below). Once Redress receives your generous donations via Zara, we will sort and redistribute them carefully to reuse, repair, resell (in order to raise charity funds to support Redress), or recycle them so that together we can bring maximum benefit to our local community and the environment.
How it works
- Donate in-store, clothes that you no longer use to give them a new lease of life
- You can donate all types of clothes, shoes and accessories from any brand, and in any condition. (For now, we don’t accept underwear or textiles)
- Provides collection containers in-store for you donations
- They then deliver to Redress for sorting
- We sort your donations, using our experienced staff and committed volunteers, using a carefully devised sorting system according to:
- Re-use; donations in good condition that are best re-used as-is will either be donated for direct use for those in need in our local community, sold to raise much needed funds at Redress’ charity pop up shops or with our other local charity partners (see list below of who we have worked with before)
- Up-cycle; any donations suitable for up-cycling will be donated to emerging fashion designers in Hong Kong
- Recycle; any donations not suitable by re-use or up-cycling will be recycled into textiles again, via an upcoming local recycling partnership
- Down-cycle; low grade donations will be used for stuffing materials, rags etc, through local partners
- Disposal; anything that absolutely cannot be used through any of the above streams may need to be disposed, although this route is something we avoid as it breaks our hearts!
- We will monitor this process and share records of what has been reused, recycled and disposed
We’re excited about uniting this on going collection with Zara, who have implemented this clothing collection programme in 8 other markets with charity partners including Oxfam, Red Cross and Caritas. Redress was chosen as Zara’s Hong Kong and Macau partner to build on our five-year history collecting, sorting and redistributing used clothing within the circular fashion system.
Our goal is to derive the maximum social, environmental and economical value to Hong Kong, so that ultimately nothing gets exported – and certainly not landfilled. We are also teaming up with partners to champion advances in textile recycling in the region - so watch this space.
Whilst this is a step in the right direction, there still lots to do; Hong Kong landfills receive 343 tonnes of textiles every day, which is the equivalent of approximately 16,908 garments entering our landfills – every hour!
Together, with your support, we can divert unwanted clothes away from landfill and create environmental, social and economic benefit to our local community.
FIND our collection containers IN zara stores now:
Tsing Yi - Maritime Square
Sha Tin - New Town Plaza
Yuen Long - Yoho Mall
Tsim Sha Tsui - Elements
Tsim Sha Tsui - Harbour City
Central - IFC Mall
Kowloon Bay - Telford Plaza
Central - 70 Queen's Road Central
Tuen Mun - Tuen Mun Tower Plaza
Admiralty - Pacific Place
Causeway Bay - Times Square
Tai Koo - City Plaza
Tseung Kwan O - Metro City Plaza II
Chek Lap Kok - Hong Kong International Airport
Macao - The Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian
Macao - Sands Cotai
Charity partners benefiting from our previous clothing collections include Christian Action, Friends of the Earth (Hong Kong), Greenladies and Greenlittle of St James’ Settlement, Lizzie Bee, Pathfinders, Redress and Tung Wah Group of Hospitals.